Monday, May 13, 2013

Barefoot in the Kitchen (Vol. 4)

Welcome to the fourth post of Barefoot in the Kitchen!

So it's been awhile since I did a recipe post. The good news is that it isn't because I stopped my kitchen experiments - just haven't had kiddo on enough of a schedule to blog regularly until now. The past week was filled with culinary dabbling and I am thrilled to report that there were no disasters! I have been on a quest lately to find recipes using ground beef that are not automatically Italian or Mexican cuisine. It's not that I don't like them (I love them!) but it gets quite old after awhile. So, I decided that I would put Leo's nighttime feedings to good use and scan the web for new recipes. I tried two of them last week and both Ben and I were big fans. I am posting my personal favorite (Ben has a different favorite of the bunch which I may post at a later date). 

Garden Skillet Supper*

Prep Time : 20 - 30 minutes

Cook Time : 30 minutes (approx.)

Servings : 4 - 6 

Ingredients : 
  • 1-2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 2 large garden tomatoes OR 1 can of stewed tomatoes
  • 1-2 yellow squash, sliced
  • 1-2 bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt 
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper 
  • red pepper flakes (based on desired level of spice)
  • sugar (if desired)





Step 1. Place tomatoes on foil lined baking sheet and put in over under broiler for five to eight minutes, while you get the ground beef going

Step 2. In large skillet over medium high heat, place ground beef and onion. Chop and stir with wooden spoon until beef is fully browned and onion is tender and translucent, about ten minutes. If not using lean ground beef, drain grease. 

Step 3. Remove tomatoes from oven while ground beef is cooking and set aside to cool slightly. Once cooled, carefully peel skin off and slice into large wedges. 



Step 4. Add tomatoes to ground beef and onions in skillet and continue cooking over medium high heat while you stir and chop them up, being careful not to squirt hot juice on yourself. 










Step 5. Add salt, parsley, black pepper, and sugar (if using sugar). Stir well and cook for about ten minutes. 

Step 6. Add in squash and bell pepper and stir well. Cook until squash is lightly translucent and bell pepper is just tender, about ten more minutes. 





YUMMY!!!


Verdict : Smashing success! Suggest serving with bread for dipping 

*Recipe and pictures taken from Southern Plate


~ Happy Monday ~


No comments:

Post a Comment