Saturday, August 10, 2013

Barefoot in the Kitchen (Vol. 6)

It's been awhile since I posted a new recipe and it's hard to know where to begin because I have tried out a fair few new ones! Most of them have been pretty good and only one or two have landed in the "Not to be Repeated" category. The recipe I'm going to share today is great for lunch or dinner, depending on what you want to do with sides and/or dessert.

Chicken Pesto Sandwiches


Prep Time : 10 - 15 minutes

Cook Time : Chicken --> 30 - 40 minutes
                         Sandwiches --> 5 - 10 minutes

Servings : 6

Ingredients :
  • 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts* (Shredded**)
  • 8 oz prepared Pesto (I used a full jar from the store)
  • 8 oz thinly sliced Mozzarella cheese (tip: egg slicers are great for this)
  • 12 slices of your choice of Bread 
  • 12 oz jar Roasted Sweet Red Peppers (did not try this but it sounds amazing!)

*Boneless skinless chicken thighs work as well. Some versions of this recipe
 **I chose to shred the chicken because I felt that it was able to soak up the pesto much better that way. Other recipes call for flattening and grilling the chicken so it comes down to your preference.

Step 1. Bake chicken at 350 for approximately 30 - 40 minutes or until juices run clear

Step 2. Shred chicken and then add pesto

Step 3. Place mozzarella cheese, chicken pesto, and red peppers (optional) on buttered bread and cook as you would a grilled cheese sandwich.

Verdict : SUCCESS! I have made the simplest version of this recipe several times now and really loved it, but at some point I like the idea of adding some more flavor in there. Other recipes I have seen have used lettuce, tomato, and other toppings. I'm sure you could use a different cheese if you wanted. I really want to make this on a Friday at some point and substitute tuna for chicken!


I'm always looking for new recipes so please feel free to share yours! 


~ Happy Friday ~ 


No comments:

Post a Comment